Men’s Ministry ~ Knights of Columbus
Grand Knight ~ David M. Hinojosa
Faithful Navigator ~ David Gonzales
All men of Holy Spirit are invited to be members of the Knights of Columbus. Council 13447 meets the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 P.M. in the Driscoll Center Second Floor Room 222. Our mission is to support the pastor in his parish needs and to enrich our lives as brothers in Christ. Parish men interested in joining the Knights of Columbus may contact David Hinojosa, Grand Knight, at 210-393-3015 .
Following a petition of 64 men, the charter for the Knights of Columbus at Holy Spirit parish was approved by the Supreme Council in Connecticut on January 29, 2004. On February 3, 2004 the first meeting of the Council elected temporary officers.
The Founding Council Officers 2004-2005
- Grand Knight – Lon Huey
- Dep. Grand Knight – Dr. Brad Brooks
- Chancellor – Brad Simmons
- Recorder – Tracy Shelby
- Chaplain – Monsignor Eugene Driscoll
- Financial Secretary – Mike Schwertner
- Treasurer – Joel Bruedigam
- Warden – Keith Braden
- Advocate – Brian Murray
- Inside Guard – Charley Rekieta
- Outside Guard – Roger Schulte
- 1st Year Trustee – Keneal Swenson
- 2Year Trustee – Leland Fellows
- 3Year Trustee – Richard Craddick
The Council currently has approximately 130 members. The St. Peter Chanel Assemby of 4th Degree Knights was founded in 2008 with Dr. Brad Brooks serving as the first Faithful Navigator. The Assembly was named after St. Peter Chanel, a Marist priest and martyr. Two of the glass windows in the main sanctuary at Holy Spirit church commemorate Father Michael J. McGivney, founder of the Knights of Columbus, and St. Peter Chanel.
David Hinojosa ~ Grand Knight ~ 2015 (r)
with Brother Ben Garcia (l)
About the Knights of Columbus
In 1882 the first Knights of Columbus Council was founded by Father Michael J. McGivney, now the first parish priest in America to become a candidate for sainthood. The K of C was originally designed to assist every Knight’s family by issuing an insurance policy for the widows and children of the Knights. Insurance policies are still available through the K of C, with presently over $53 billion of insurance in force and the highest rating from Standard and Poor (AAA).
The Knights award four degrees: 1st Degree, Unity; 2nd Degree, Fraternity; 3rd Degree, Charity; 4th Degree, Patriotism. In the last decade alone the Knights have raised nearly $1 billion for charitable causes and have given over 400 million hours in volunteer service. Here are just a few of the many worthy causes the K of C supports: the mentally retarded, the hearing impaired, academic scholarships, a wheelchair foundation, pro-life legislation, vocations to the priesthood and the religious life.
In 1952 members of the 4th Degree K of C were among the first to champion the inclusion of the “under God” phrase in the Pledge of Allegiance. Other fraternal societies joined the Knights and petitioned Congress to include the phrase in the Pledge. The Knights of Columbus have been on the front lines opposing recent attempts in the courts to remove “under God” from the Pledge.
The Knights of Columbus logo pictured below was designed by the first Supreme Knight, James T. Mullen, a Civil War veteran.
The logo’s anchor denotes Columbus sailing the seas, but the anchor is also an ancient Christian symbol (see Hebrews 6:19); the sword is the symbol of knighthood; the fasces (rods bound together around an axe) is the ancient Roman symbol for “in unity is strength.” This white collage is mounted on a blue shield underneath the letters “K of C” with gold background, all of which is mounted on a gold, red, and white Maltese Cross. The motto of the Knights of Columbus is: “In Service to one, in service to all.” Another motto is “Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.” (Time flies. Remember death.”) The Latin letters for the monogram, TFMM, often adorn a Knight’s ring. Although the members are called “Knights” and may be addressed as Sir Knight, this title is purely fraternal, and is not the equivalent to a title conferred by a king or a pope.
Father Michael J. McGivney, the founder of the Order, originally suggested the fraternity be called the Sons of Columbus. But James Mullen and others persuaded him that Knights of Columbus was more appropriate. Christopher Columbus, after all, was a knight, and the image of knighthood had long been associated with the champions of Catholic Christianity. Father McGivney agreed.
The Knights of Columbus began to develop its 4th Degree for Patriotism in 1898 (sixteen years after the Order was founded) just before the Spanish-American War. The Catholic bishops of America at first opposed the war, but after it began, the Church announced its patriotic allegiance and many K of C members enlisted in the military. Introduction of the 4th Degree did a great deal to counter the anti-Catholic propaganda of the era, which falsely claimed that allegiance of American Catholics to the pope would lead to treason against the United States. The first members of the Patriotic Degree were inducted at New York City in 1900. The title of the chief officer is Faithful Navigator.
David Gonzales ~ Faithful Navigator ~ 2014
The 4th Degree is distinguished from the other three degrees in that 4th Degree members belong to an Assembly in addition to a Council. Extra dues are levied upon Assembly members. Also, the Assembly members alone wear the formal uniform designed to depict knighthood. The standard uniform consists of a tuxedo worn under a color-lined cape (the color of the lining indicates the knight’s rank), a Social Baldric with the 3rd Degree insignia displayed, a sword, a plumed hat with the 4th Degree insignia displayed, and white gloves. A small bust of Columbus adorns the tip of the sword handle. The 4th Degree Color Corps is the most visible arm of the Order. These Knights of Columbus escort bishops, priests, and other dignitaries during worship services and parades
Click on our national website address to learn more about the Knights of Columbus.
4th Degree Knight in Full Regalia
Knights of Columbus by Edgar Guest
They do not ask the faith or creed
of him that comes into their hut.
True knighthood’s door is never shut
against a pilgrim warriors need.
They question only: “Would you rest?
and are you weary and oppressed?
Then brother lay aside your care
and come this sheltering roof to share.”
Holy Spirit Council Founding Chaplain Monsignor Gene Driscoll
About the Founding Pastor
Monsignor Eugene J. Driscoll, the youngest of seven children, was born in Philadelphia and attended Catholic schools there. Ordained to the Society of Mary (Marists) 35 years ago, his first assignment was as assistant pastor at Saint Pius X parish in Bedford, Ohio from 1970 through 1974. Monsignor Driscoll then went to Our Lady of Assumption in Atlanta, Georgia as pastor. In 1976 he returned to Saint Pius X as pastor. He also served as chaplain to the police and fire departments. He left Bedford in 1983 to become Provincial of the Washington, D.C. Province of the Marists where he was responsible for the welfare of 130 priests. Then he was called to the missionary Diocese of Lubbock and became pastor of Sacred Heart parish in Plainview. In 1996 he became the Pastoral Administrator of St. Elizabeth University Parish in Lubbock. In 1998, while serving as associate pastor at Christ the King, Bishop Placido Rodriguez asked him to establish a new parish, to be named Holy Spirit, in southwest Lubbock.
“Father” Gene was accorded the title Monsignor and Chaplain of His Holiness by Pope John Paul II on January 16, 2004. In celebration, a parish-wide dinner was held where many accolades were gratefully bestowed on the founding pastor of Holy Spirit.