Parish Organizations Commission
Commissioner: Tom Lewis
The Parish Life Commission supports the life of the parish by bringing parish members together. Our goal of building a “sense of belonging” is attained by working and playing together by:
Offering programs for specific age and gender groups.
Supporting the life of the parish through special events and celebrations.
Helping to draw families together through shared activities.
Exploring ways to involve more church members in the activities of the parish.
Extending programs to parishioners confined to their homes, or who ar in medical or health service facilities.
Men’s Ministry – Knights of Columbus
Contact: Rafael Aguilera
All men of Holy Spirit are invited to be members of the Knights of Columbus. Council 13447 meets the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00p.m. in McGivney Hall. Our mission is to support the pastor in his parish needs and to enrich our lives as brothers in Christ.
Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
Contact: David Gonzales
Chair: Grace Simmons
Holy Spirit Women’s organization provides for the liturgical needs of the altar. They fund these altar needs with annual dues, fund raisers, and donations. In addition, they also assist other parish ministries when asked. Most recent activities include; passing out Easter eggs after the Easter Masses, providing scholarships to 2016 graduates, assisting with the April Sausage Festival and the upcoming Catholic Charities “A Night to Remember”.
This year’s officers: Treasurer—Silvia Ballejo, Secretary—Gloria De La Garza, Historian—Mary Beth Abernathy, and Co—Presidents Stephanie Starkovich and Grace Simmons. All women of the parish, young and not-so-young, are welcome and encouraged to join this group as it offers an avenue for them to serve, and helps families maintain a connection with parish activities. This year’s meetings are scheduled for: Oct. 18th Dec. 6th Jan. 17th Feb. 21st March 21st April 18th and May 18th. Meetings start at 6:30 pm in Room 118. Join us when you can!
Contact: Beth Hinojosa
Mom’s Group is a play and support group for the parents and children. We welcome Moms and Dads.
Catholic Moms have moved their library and picnic day to Wednesdays. Other events are also on Wednesdays, so on those days we will aim to at least picnic on the lawn at the diocese, 4620 4th Street, after the event (weather permitting). For more information, please contact Vicki Divine at 607-226-6398 or by email email@example.com
Contact: Bud Grossman
Contact: Kelly Shehan
If you are 21 to 30—something aged young adult and want to build community with other young Catholics, as well as grow in your faith; join us for fellowship on Wednesday evenings. We meet in Room 118 at 7:30 at Holy Spirit Catholic Church. Each of our weekly events stands alone, so just come when you can!
Please contact Kelly Shehan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 806.290.1108 with any questions or for more information.
Young at Heart
Contact: Rose Albus
Young At Heart is a group of Seniors (55+) who share fellowship and participate in parish activites. Singles and couples attend, as do non-Catholic spouses and guests. Young At Heart meets every third Wednesday for lunch. Watch the bulletin for more information.
Contact: Marcia Hogle
Family Life Commission
Contact: Richard & Elaine Ybarra
The Family Life Commission welcomes individuals and families to the parish community, promotes wholesome and Christian family life, assists parish families with special needs and supports parish families who are grieving. Committees include:
Chair: Gloria De La Garza
Hosts activities and actions to create an environment of family and friendship for Parishioners of Holy Spirit Church.
- Serve coffee/juice and donuts after weekend Masses
- Sponsor fund raisers such as the annual Mardi Gras Dinner/Dance, and others
Chair: Renate Hargrave
Provides an environment of friendship and a sense of belonging to the family of Holy Spirit Parish as follows:
- Coordinates greeters at Masses; assistance at the information desk
- Provide welcome packets including, but not limited to registration forms, religious education information, services rendered by Holy Spirit, interests survey with regard to opportunities within the parish and other helpful information
- Conducts personal follow up call and/or visit to welcome new parishioners, answer questions or coordinate special needs when necessary
Contact: Would you like to help with this ministry? Please call the parish office.
Provides spiritual and emotional support for those in the grieving process, including providing the following:
- Send sympathy and remembrance cards to the bereaved in behalf of the parish
- Coordinates parish volunteers to offer a helping hand, prayers and other support
- Makes initial and follow-up calls to those who have suffered recent losses and others identified as needing help
- Provide ongoing education to volunteers regarding assistance with the grieving process
Contact: Konda Brooks & Cindy Gurss
Provides food after funeral for families of the deceased; held either at Holy Spirit Church Hall or in a designated home.
- Coordinates with the family for arrangements
- Contacts volunteers for covered dishes
- Procures meat
- Sets up area for serving, serves and cleans up afterwards as needed
Contact: Amy Craig
Organizes spiritual retreats and parish missions throughout the year for the needs of the parish community.
- Marriage Encounter
- Plans and schedules Marriage Encounter retreats for married couples in the parish.
- Engaged Encounter
- Plans and schedules Engaged Encounter retreats for parishioners planning for the Sacrament of Matrimony.
- Family Retreats
- Plans and Schedules family retreats for families to have the opportunity to interact and learn about the Catholic faith.
- Parish Missions
- Schedules outside speakers to give talks to parishioners to build their faith and spirituality.
- Christ Renews His Parish Program
- Schedules the program to bring about Godly unity within families and parishioners.
Provides strategies for the parish to reach out and share the Catholic faith with our protestant brothers and sisters.
- Home Outreach Visit
- Gets parishioners involved in forming evangelism teams to make home visits within the parish community.
- Ecumenical Outreach
- Forms groups of parishioners to visit non-Catholic churches and to make visits within the parish community.
- Coming Home – Fallen-Away Catholics
- Reaches out and invites Catholics that have left the Catholic Church to return to the Church.
Contact: Beth Hinojosa
Offers prayer support throughout the year for the parish community:
- Prayer for the faithful
- Prayer for the well-being of the church
- Prayer for conversion
- Prayer for repentance
- Prayer for return to the church
- Prayer for the lost in spirit
The Cursillo Movement
An instrument of Christian renewal designed to form and stimulate persons to engage in evangelizing their everyday environments. To continue this new growth in Christ, those who have taken the “little” course are encouraged to meet weekly. This weekly meeting is called “ultreya” which means “fourth day” suggesting by that name that what was initially received on the three day “little course” must continue to grow.
Contact: Jim Christy
This committee ministers and supports parishioners who are home-bound and cannot physically participate in Mass with the parish community at the church.
- The committee provides:
- Holy Eucharist
- Sacrament of Reconciliation through a priest
- Communication about happenings and activities
- Social services
- Prayer services